Thursday, February 10, 2011

Welome to Beijing...

Interesting day filled with lots of plane changes and airport food.  And I took the challenge of the game "Last Supper" seriously.  I made sure to eat everything - and I mean everything I enjoyed and did not thing I would be able to eat in China.  That means lots of diet Mountain Dew, beef jerkey. good french fries, and the list goes on.  The only snag with my plan was by the time I got to Seattle, I had a stomach ache.  Imagine that??  I proudly ate some Tums like any good American who eats inappropriately would and boarded the jet to Beijing.

The last time I came here in China (like 16 years ago)  I was
one of only six westerners in the airport.  Today - all of first class and a bunch in
coach were.  Cool for me.  Here in Beijing it is 26 degrees and snow -
just like home.  Yet NOT like home.  I had a great plane ride and a
scary commute to the hotel with the driver who was in training for the
Indy 500.

 I had forgotten how much people stare at Americans and how giggly
Chinese are.  My urban girl keeps wanting to say "what you lookin at!"
and "really??" Then we have the fireworks for the New Year
celebration...I keep doing a duck and cover move...imagine that one.
Everything here is so small - my bathroom is like a version you have
on the plane just a little bigger and completely made of plastic - the
bed - OMG who can sleep on bricks!  I will totally be out tomorrow
looking for something to fix that problem!  My hotel room is about the
size of my office at school and...wait for it...the Phoenix Center is
across the street - too funny!! (just like the name of my last school)

Off to unpack my over poundage luggage and figure out how to handle
the need for so many converters for the eletrical outlets.  Ahhh - it shall
be quite a Disney adventure ... but without the fun rides.

3 comments:

  1. The last time you were in China you missed my birthday... I have come to realize that you will miss my birthday again while you are in china.... talk about an epic fail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And did you handle the bed from________ well, you know...LOL How was that first full day for ya? Are you taking any pictures yet or are you just waiting...I can't wait to see the pictures I hope you take.

    Well, good thing you ate what you wanted before you left, 'cause, ummm, well, never mind where I was going with that but I am sure that since you know me you would know where I might have been headed. This might be a good time to consider a complete vegan lifestyle. I'm just sayin' LOL enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I think you should let the urban girl come out. Hope you're having an alright time and I look forward to reading more of this blog. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete