Saturday, February 19, 2011

Working for the Weekend

This humongous city of Beijing can be described in the acronym of CRAZY

C ars - way too many!!!  If you think New York or Chicago are bad, you would be crazy here.
R unning - people are always running down the streets to catch subways and such.  Not sure why when
                  they come every two minutes. I kept looking for fires the first two days...
A lways hearing fireworks!  If you ever desired to own a firework stand - come here and be rich. 
Z eleanders - New Zeleand to be specific - butter, breads, mayonnaise and foreigners from there-bunches
Y oung - the age of the police and security guards.  I have been told that most students are made to serve
                the government for one year as police or public security (like in subways) before they go to
                college.  If so, this would explain one why Chinese exchange students want to stay in the
                states. Yet..the crime is very low.
 
I am starting a new schedule this week and looking forward to having my days off during the week.  Less crazy and more time to be productive because the banks (no online banking here) and such are slower and I will only have to wait in line for 30 minutes at the checkout as opposed to 60 minutes.  Oh yes - I said standing in line for sixty minutes playing bumper crash of the carts (called trolleys here) the entire time (thank goodness they respect the elders so I can cut and not get cussed out - LOL).  No wonder you can have McDonalds and KFC delivered to your place.

As I have told some, my process of being "Disneyfied" is in motion and reflective of how I think at times.  I sing silly kids songs in the shower and occasionally the subway, I wave with the big "hellooooo" hand like I do all day at work (just like my man Mickey) AND I have been know to phonetically introduce food to my other foreign friends - yup you can hear me now: p p p p pop....ugh!

For those of you who care to know, my Chinglish is progressing nicely and I am fluent in chopsticks now.  I have even been observed hailing a taxi and haggling over the fee. So as much as there are differences now, some parts of me are deeply engrained and always present.

Later Mates!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are having this experience... I know it is tough but you are adding so much to your already amazing talent! They obviously do an great job of instilling the "Disney way" into their employees... Good luck on the Chinglish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visuals! I can picture you waving in the subway and crashing your trolley. Hope you are enjoying most of it!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, now you want to be an "elder". LOL Sounds as if you are working this thing out. Even though I know you are jammed packed busy, you still appear to be really, really enjoying yourself. I am glad for you! Waiting for the next update!

    ReplyDelete